November 15, 2009

Jumble Sale!

Hello!

I just came across an old friend's blog and happened to read a post on how she hates the new SPM system. The whole 10-subject limit issue. Hm, I know a lot of other people who despise this system as well.

When I first heard this piece of news, yes I was equally as pissed and upset as most students would be. But after calming down and slowly thinking about it, I realized it's not much big of a deal. As a matter of fact, the pros of this system soon began to outweigh the cons. I started to understand the whole point of this system and began to like it.

The main point many people oppose to this system is because they feel like they are not given freedom of choice. As in, they feel that they can handle more subjects than others and therefore they should be allowed to take more than 10 subjects. Then again, is there ANY point in taking so many subjects? Taking extra subjects like Accounts, English literature, Economics; would that help much in life if you plan to be a doctor or a chemist? Not really right? The only reason why people would want to take so many subjects is because of a serious attitude problem, known to many as the 'kiasu' spirit. Because of the urge to win and seem more superior than everyone, people drive themselves to study so hard just for more A's.


I believe one reason this system was implemented is to eradicate this mentality. In a way, it is also better for all the students. Everyone will be studying the same amount, so no one will say that the system is unfair! It's like marks in an examination; the maximum mark you can get is a 100, so everyone will strive for 100, and no one will get 110. I like (: We also don't have to push ourselves to study so much anymore. If there wasn't this system in place, I would be taking Accounts most probably, which means one extra subject to read on.


Also, this system makes the examination results really really clear. One look and you can spot the best students already. If we used the old system, it's pretty hard to see whether an all A student who took 9 subjects or an 11A student who took 12 subjects is smarter. Just because Mr.11A has more A's, doesn't mean Mr.9A is less clever. Now, at least we know the top students are those who can get 10A's, followed by 9A's, 8A's and so on. Scholarship applications would be processed with much more ease and students cannot complain about it because truth be told, the system is actually pretty good.


Furthermore, most SMK students are taking 9 subjects, which means they still can choose another subject if they really want to. So, we STILL get freedom of choice! Unless you're from my school, where Chinese is compulsory and therefore fulfills the 10-subject limit quota. I am still okay with it though. As long as I'm still taking the vital subjects I require to help me achieve my ambition, I am pleased.

My debate seniors debated on this before, and I quote one of them.
'It isn't the quantity of A's that we're looking for, it's the quality of A's that is important.'

I hope this post convinces all of you who are still upset with the system (:

0 comments: